Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Like the columnist Sainath once wrote about drought, every1 loves a good whipping boy.

Kamal Haasan, Kobe Bryant, Sourav Ganguly, Brian Lara, Shoaib Akthar.
They all have 2 things in common.. They are some of my favorite stars.
Another common thread - all whipping boys !

But I hope I just dont always like stars because they are outcasts( well, sorta..). Sometimes, I hate the notion 'the people know best', used mainly, to explain box office success, that can be applied to this superstar scenario as well I guess. Well, I dont first believe in that notion I stated before.

People have made a supermegagigastar out of Rajinikanth and just another actor out of Kamal Haasan. Well, Rajinikanth doesnt make sense to me at all. Talks about spirituality to the extent that makes believers wonder if they are believers indeed (on a more serious note, without any effective meaning, atleast to me). Burnt his hand trying to venture into politics. Made 2 mega excuses for a movie (Valli and Baba were the ones). Says he is not interested in money/movie success but inner peace(yes, he said that a few days back) . KamalHaasan talks the talks and walks the walk (ok..ok, atleast he's frank and lives for himself, not trying to put on an image for society). Did rajinikanth correctly understand/analyze the mass thinking and come up with stuff that they liked..I dont think so ( Well, if he did that indeed that well, I would just think he's really clever, thats all. Too many ppl credit rajini with doing that, although i think its being overdone). Ok, I guess I am a little confused for my own comfort here..Maybe, you see the point am trying to make already. Most of the mega stars seem to ppl who though clever, seem to be living for the society. Most whipping boys seem to living their own life. Living your own life and being a mega-star seems to be a no-no for the masses.


Currently listening: Pudhu Vellai Mazhai (Roja)

No comments: