Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I was a Rajni fan for most of my school days and also in college.

And then Anbe Sivam happened. I watched it again 2-3 hours after I first watched it. Most of my thinking for the next 2-3 days was about the movie. It was supposed to be directed by Sundar.C but who was behind most of the scenes was no secret. My 'thalaivaaa' changed to Kamal. And its been him ever since.

I was desperately hoping that the movie would be a hit because there are directors who could make nearly as good movies as this but dont want to do so for commercial reasons. It would've been ushering in a new era in Tamil Cinema if this had happened. But..

Still, I am amazed by Kamal and his restless energy. I think I loved every1 of his movies in the last few years except for PKS. Panchathantram left me in splits like none other including MMKR.

Rajni is some 1 who gives you plenty of 'feel good' doses when you watch him on screen - he endears himself so much that you dont even care about the logic in the movie. But it doesnt affect me once the movie is done.

Kamal's movies can actually keep you thinking days after you've watched the movie, and when you finally connect to his ideas, it's an experience in itself.

Hope I get to meet my Thalaivar sometime !

No comments: